Shahi Paneer is a Royal North Indian dish where you cook paneer (cottage cheese) in thick creamy tomato gravy enriched with spices. Its the perfect main course dish to be served with Roti/Chapati/Naan or any Indian bread of your choice.
250 gms of paneer, thawed & cut into cubes or triangles
2 bay leaves (Tej patta)
1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
3 green chilies finely chopped (or to taste)
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1 cup of thick tomato paste
1 tbsp of tomato ketchup
5 tbsp of cream
some finely chopped coriander
pinch of sugar
1tbsp of oil for cooking
salt to taste
Masala: (these ingredients are easily available at Indian/Asian Grocery stores)
1 tsp of red chili powder (or to taste)
1 tbsp of coriander powder
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds powder
1/2 tsp of garam masala (or to taste)
1 tbsp of Shahi Paneer Masala (optional)(using MDH brand for this recipe)
- In a vessel, heat the oil on medium flame & once hot add the cumin seeds & bay leaves. Once cumin seeds start spluttering add the onions & saute.
- When the onions turn translucent, add the asafoetida, green chilies, ginger & garlic paste. Saute till raw garlic smell disappears.
- Now add the tomato paste & mix. Cook for 2 mins stirring intermittently.
- Then add all the ingredients listed under "Masala" along with salt & cook till this mixture thickens & starts oozing oil from the side (approximately 2 mins)
- Adjust the consistency by adding a cup of water. Mix & simmer till it comes to a boil.
- Now add the tomato ketchup & cream & mix well. If your tomato gravy tastes sour add a pinch of sugar to cut the sourness down.
- Final step is to add the paneer & mix with light hands to prevent the paneer from crumbling. Top it with some coriander for garnishing.
That's it our Shahi Paneer is ready, serve it hot with Roti/Chapati/Naan or any Indian bread of your choice.
Stay in-touch with the latest happenings of my Kitchen :)
♥ Like "ShwetaintheKitchen" on Facebook!
♥ Follow "ShwetainKitchen" on twitter!